Idaho National Laboratory continues to be a major player in our region. Today they released INL’s Research & Development Economic Impact Summary. Here are some key findings that are extremely important to eastern Idaho.
In fiscal year 2017, Idaho National Laboratory operations added $1.94 billion to Idaho’s gross domestic product, and the lab spent $139 million with Idaho businesses.
Dr Mar Peters said, “
- INL directly employed an average of 4,256 workers during the fiscal year. That makes the laboratory contractor Battelle Energy Alliance Idaho’s sixth-largest private employer and ninth-largest employer when compared to all public and private businesses.
- INL increased personal income in Idaho by $862 million. INL economic impacts accounted for 1.3 percent of all personal income in the state.
- Nearly $935 million of economic output was generated through INL suppliers and employee household spending.
- INL operations accounted for 12,027 jobs across Idaho, a 6.7 percent increase over FY 2016.
- INL spent $139 million with Idaho subcontractors located throughout the state.
- Battelle Energy Alliance employees contributed more than $610,000 to charitable giving.
It’s rewarding to see the positive impact we have on Idaho’s economy. Ultimately, that means we are improving the lives of all Idahoans and their communities.”